This morning my husband and I were talking about the “building blocks”, we believe are key in the success of our marriage. But before I get into that it’s important to know that we have been together for about 5 years and married almost for 4 years.
When we met about 5 years ago, we almost knew from the beginning that we wanted to be married. He knew first and I followed shortly after. But that there was something special from the beginning for the both of us is absolutely so!
When I met him, I was at a stage in my life where I was trusting the Lord for His best for me and my husband was also at a stage in his life where he wanted to settle down with the right and the best woman for him. So we were both ready when we met. Which I believe is important in order to have a successful relationship and marriage. Both people need to be ready for each other, in order to start from a good place.
So if you are still single and want to be married, instead of focusing on the fact that you are not yet in a relationship, rather work on preparing yourself for the right person. Stay away from time stealers and people who are not on the same path as you. If you don’t, you might just miss the opportunity to be with your Mr Right or Miss Right, because you will be so focused on making a bad relationship work, instead of being available to meet your soul mate.
And if you are a Believer, find scripture that you can stand on, as you continue to trust God for your spouse.
Earlier this week, I believe the Lord led me to scripture to remind me of how for years I stood on the scripture trusting God for my husband and at the right time, God’s appointed time our paths crossed and I’ve been so blessed by our relationship.
God is faithful and wherever you find yourself today, He will never leave you nor forsake you (Joshua 1:5; Hebrews 13:5). We don’t always understand God’s timing, but we must trust that His timing is perfect. We only see what is in front of us, but God sees the full picture. And hence when He blesses us, he ensures that all areas are aligned and ready to receive the blessing. But this happens with a condition, we need to surrender every area of our lives to Him and trust Him through the process.
My pastor once taught about the “Price of a Decision” and how some decisions are permanent and irreversible, so I would rather be in God’s perfect timing for my life than to make my own decisions without consulting Him. Once again, He sees the full picture and ensures that we have all we need to succeed.
Now back to the “building blocks” of our marriage, i.e. the “building blocks” that our marriage is founded on:
- God first– consciously being aware of God’s presence in our lives and knowing that our marriage was founded on His Word and that He is the Head of our marriage. We are together today, because we honour Him. And I can tell you there were tough times in our marriage in this short period that we have been married, but our relationship with our Lord and Saviour has kept us together. We honour God first and then each other. So honour God in your marriage and you will honour each other as you grow and prosper together.
- Next Faith, Faith is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1). If your marriage, spouse, children, job, business, ministry, finances, you yourself, etc. is not where you believe it needs to be or where you want it to be, don’t give up. Keep believing, keep trusting and keep hoping that you will experience the full blessing of the Lord in due time.
- My husband believes that Respect and Trust are key traits or “building blocks” that every person in marriage need to possess and I agree with him. And he also expects the very same from me. These are embedded into his character and how he shows love.
- What drives me is commitment and loyalty. And these are part of my natural traits as well. If I make a decision to take on anything, it is done wholeheartedly and I am committed to it. So when the going gets tough, commitment and loyalty keep me focused on the vision and the end goal. So during the times when I felt like walking away and yes there were times😊 I am sure there are others that sometimes feel like this in their marriage, but what kept me was the commitment I made to the Lord and to my husband, that I will love my husband faithfully and be One with him for the rest of our lives. My husband on the other hand believes that Respect and Trust have kept him committed on our marriage and future.
- And finally all of these “building blocks” are rooted in Love. It started with Love, because God is love and it will remain in Love, because God is love.
So decide what your “building blocks” are for your marriage and be true to them, no matter how tough it may get from time to time. Have Love (1 Corinthians 13:4-8) as your foundation, be committed and loyal to each other and respect and trust each other.
I’ve said to my husband before, that when he and I met there were a few things that were not in place, but am I glad I listened to my inner voice to be with him despite this, because today I am married to the most amazing man in the world and I wouldn’t exchange him for anyone else. We’ve overcome many hurdles and obstacles together and I believe there will be more that we will overcome. If we remain true to our partnership, our “building blocks” and above all else keeping our eyes fixed on Christ, each other and our dreams and goals, we know that we will always overcome and prosper!
Today I pray a special blessing over your marriage, children and finances and that God will anoint you to be all He has called you to be in Jesus name.