So recently I saw this article and felt it’s so important to share, especially in today’s time considering that so many people have lost their jobs, some have lost some or all of their income. Some families have lost the breadwinners and those remaining may be thinking where to from here. They know they have to do something, but not quite sure what and how to move forward.
Let’s look at where the opportunities are in the job market. My guidance would be to apply for jobs in these areas. And if needed upskill yourself in the skillsets required in order to become more marketable.
“Year-on-year, demand has grown significantly for professionals in the sales, ICT, business & management and building & construction sectors, the careers portal said.”
“The latest research shows that the following occupational fields are currently the most sought-after skill sets in the job market:
- Software development: Demand for software developers has been growing since January. Comparing May 2021 with January 2021, demand increased by 38%.
- Middle/Department management: Department managers remain high in demand. Year-on-year, demand for middle and department managers increased by 76%.
- Representative/Sales consulting: Demand for sales representatives is showing consistent growth. Since May 2020, demand for sales consultants has grown by 69%.”
Some individuals are thinking of reinventing themselves during this economic climate and some may already have or are in the process of doing it. If you want to reinvent yourself, my guidance would be to develop yourself in the areas that are in demand. In order to be effective in this economic climate, we are going to have to find ways to set ourselves apart from the rest, by improving our skills, pursuing excellence and becoming people of Value.
I recently heard a teaching from one of my online mentors, the late Dr Myles Munroe’s and he said that in order to increase your income, you have to become a person of Value. Now to better understand the meaning of this let’s look at the meaning of what this means.
To be a person of Value and influence, you have to become genuinely interested in people enough to solve a specific problem for them. Think of what you can do to make people’s lives better. The more people you solve problems for, the more valuable and influential you become.
So in my personal view instead of chasing the money, think of what you can do to make people’s lives better; think of what you can do to make your company perform better; what you can do to make your division or department perform better. I understand that money should also be a motivator because you want to be compensated fairly, but it shouldn’t be the only and the most important motivator, instead becoming a person of Value should be.
So Value is simply the usefulness and importance of something or someone.
Albert Einstein once said, “Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value.”
I believe part of the reason why he said this is that value is directly connected to success. The more valuable you are, the more successful you’ll be. We shouldn’t equally forget that value is connected to influence. When value grows, influence grows.
How to become a person of value and influence:
- Find your Purpose. I have personally found my Purpose in pursuing my Dreams and my passions. So know your Dreams and passions and pursue it and in pursuing it you will find your Purpose. Purpose ignites passion and passion ignites Purpose, which keeps you motivated, inspired and focused. You need that to be valuable and influential. Do a job that you enjoy. Do a job that resonates with you. A job that satisfies you.
- Develop yourself. Becoming a person of value and influence demands embracing a life long pursuit of personal development as you continue to expand. What skills do you need today to perform your job well? What skills do you have to improve upon? What knowledge do you require in order to deliver successfully against your role? Personal development is a process of understanding and developing yourself in order to add value and to realise your full potential. Daily ask yourself, “What do I need to learn or do to become a better person?
Take time to refine yourself in every area required to deliver successfully against your role. That could be hard but it’s rewarding. In your job don’t be that person that thinks they know it all. Rather be that person that is open to learn and know that learning is a journey. I’ve learnt that growing in knowledge is directly related to growing in confidence. Self-confidence is one quality that’s very admirable. People are attracted to people who are self confident.
3. Choose a problem you can solve for your company. To be a person of value and influence, you have to become genuinely interested in your company and customers enough to solve a specific problem for them. Enquire and understand what problems your customers, company, division or department face. Think of what you can do to make their lives better. The more people you solve problems for in the workplace, the more valuable and influential you become. And eventually this is how you will grow your income. And don’t become weary in doing good, at the right time you will reap your harvest if you don’t give up- Galatians 6:9.
4. Be a person of integrity. What does this mean, it means to be person of truth. Integrity means doing the right thing at all times and in all circumstances, no matter what the consequences. It means being open and honest and truthful about your mistakes. No one is perfect, but for you to be a person of value and influence you have to be able to earn people’s confidence and trust by being trustworthy.
5. Be original and unique, even in the workplace. Learn from others, but don’t mimick or imitate them, still be yourself. Imitations don’t get much attention, originals do. To be a person of influence, you must not want to be anyone else, but YOU.
6. Encourage, inspire and appreciate your colleagues, peers and subordinates. Find ways to encourage and inspire others to be all they can be. Regularly thank them and find ways to show your appreciation. Also find ways to empower, share your knowledge and skills with others. Get involved in initiatives or lead initiatives that you feel strongly about. Your value and influence is connected to the number of lives that are better because of you.
7. Be a person of excellence. Whatever you do, do it well. It should be your desire to become the expert in your area of responsibility in the workplace. Becoming a person of value and influence is not going to be so much about what you do as it is about how well you do it. It’s said that whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. Go the extra mile where possible. Add a touch of class and your personal signature in all you do. That’s what excellence is all about. And note excellence, is not the same as perfection.
My desire for you is that God will give you the desire and ability to become a person of excellence.